Skilled front end developer who enjoys using new technologies to improve the user experience. Hard worker with the ability to stay productive while expanding his knowledge base. Team player who loves working with fellow employees to develop large applications.
B.S., Computer Science, Millersville University, 1999-2003
Technical Skill Set
- Client side Development
- Tools: jQuery, BackboneJS, Require.JS, Mustache, MapQuest API, Google Maps API, YUI
- Testing: Jasmine, QUnit
- Server side Development
- Languages: Java, Node.JS, PHP, Python, SQL
- Tools: Play Framework, Spring, Hibernate, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, NPM
- Testing: jUnit, Selenium
- MySQL, Postgres (/w PostGIS), Oracle, MongoDB
- Operating Systems
- Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu), Mac OSX, Windows
Current tech interests
Senior Software Engineer: MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com)
March 2012 - Present
- Created a flight tracker for Southwest Airlines using the MapQuest toolkit that sits on an Apache server on every Southwest airplane and allows users to follow their flight path for free. Average user engagement is 7 minutes per visit
- Worked on a team to create a new Dashboard section of the MQVibe website. Users can earn badges, find where they rank for a specific place, and keep updated on their friends progress. Services we created were also used by the mobile team to create the MQVibe mobile app.
Software Engineer: MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com)
March 2009 - Present
- One of two engineers choosen to fly the Dublin, Ireland to interview over 20 front-end applicants. Separately chosen again to fly out and train new employees.
- Release coordinator for multiple large mapquest.com releases. Charged with cutting a release branch, coordinating the install with Ops and QA, and merging the branch back to the trunk.
- Winner of 2nd annual Hack days event. Part of a 2 day team that created a 3D WebGL bike routing site that utilized open street map data.
- Currently working with Openstreetmap, Postgres, and PostGIS on soon to be named project.
Developer: Bonobos, Inc (http://www.bonobos.com)
August 2008 - March 2009
- Fifth employee at a fast growing multi-million dollar company. Initially responsible for all technical matters, not just web development.
- Responsible for creating new features that increase the conversion and customer retention rates.
- Responsible for creating automatic report system to help employees keep a daily pulse of how the website is doing.
- Main developer (front-end and back-end) for all new features and bug fixes.
January 2006 - August 2008
- Developed user management tools for www.athinker.com and http://www.epicorusers.org in ASP and MS SQL 2000.
- Created business directory for the National Watch and Clock Museum. The directory takes the businesses address and uses Google maps to geocode the address. Users of the directory can then search by a specified radius around a supplied zip code. The directory is built with PHP, MySQL and takes advantage of the CodeIgniter MVC framework.
- Developed http://www.amishtradercountry.com, using PHP, MySQL, and OSCommerce as the base for their cart system.
- Designed and developed css templates for use on photographer web sites. Templates were optimized for all major browsers.
- Created Cardiojournal.com, a health website using Flash and AJAX to collect user data and chart their weight & bodyfat.
Web & Multimedia Programmer: Millersville University
Millersville PA September 2005 - August 2008
- Played an integral part in launching Millersville's latest university wide website (http://www.millersville.edu).
- Researched, recommended, and implemented enterprise level CMS systems for the University.
- Created a new campus map using the Google Maps API which utilizes advanced AJAX programming (http://www.millersville.edu/directions).
- Managed web development team to complete university department projects. Managing duties include managing development projects, managing developer hours and time, and hiring new developers.
- Review and implement software packages to help the web department work more efficiently.
- Help departments increase web traffic through search engine optimizations.
Web Developer: Onpoint Systems
York PA August 2003 - May 2005
- Assessed projects and provided time estimates for completion. Quoted large scale projects for billing and project managing.
- Used PHP and MySQL to create an array of web sites and web applications for clients.
- Developed Content Management Software (CMS) systems so clients have the ability to manage their own content.
- Managed part-time employees by assigning work and reviewing it upon completion.
Web Developer: Millersville University
Millersville PA Sept 2001 - Aug 2003
- Developed web sites that utilized MySQL and Oracle databases to drive content and store user information.